hair transplantation fue
Hair transplantation is no longer considered a luxury. It is a widely known technique which is increasingly demanded. The first successful hair implant was accomplished back in the 1800’s by the German physician Dieffenbach.
Various methods of hair transplantation have been described and implemented ever since. In the near past, “punchgrafting” was used, through which more than one hair follicle was transplanted with each graft, but this technique was related to extremely bad aesthetic results. Surgical restoration of alopecia and repair with flaps and tissue disks has been furthermore tested but this procedure also provoked many unattractive scars.
Hair Transplantation can be performed in
- Men and women suffering from androgenic alopecia
What needs to be done prior to the operation?
Once the plastic surgeon has a complete medical record of the patient, he / she should thoroughly inform the person concerned about the transplantation process and furthermore take some pictures of the transplant area.
The following instructions should be followed:
- A light meal is to be taken the night before surgery and on the same morning some light breakfast, but without any coffee.
- On the morning of surgery, we do not take any medication without the doctor’s approval.
- Alcohol should be discontinued at least 1 week before surgery and 1 week post operatively.
- We do not take aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs or herbal supplements 20 days before surgery, as they all increase the chance of bleeding during and after surgery.
- People with white hair should dye them 1 day before the transplantation.
- We stop all kind of local treatment 3 weeks before the procedure.
Type of anaesthesia
This surgical procedure is usually carried out under local anesthesia.
Stay in hospital
After the procedure, the person concerned may return at home.
FUE Technique: The most contemporary hair implantation technique is the FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) that is carried out by transferring individual hair follicles from the occipital area to the dilution site. The FUE technique is a completely safe technique without any visible scars on the scalp, and with a very short recovery period. The scalp is the main donor area. Techniques that use the body as a donor area lead to inferior results. During the initial consultation, there is a discussion with the person concerned about which area will be cured and where the transplants will be harvested. Then the patient is placed in a prone position and after local anesthesia is applied in the area where the implants will be taken from (occipital), the hair follicles are harvested painlessly and inadvertently with the use of a special device. These grafts are paralleled in smaller ones - if necessary - and prepared under the microscope for repositioning. The person concerned then takes a break and prepares himself for the placement of the implants. In a supine position, the hair is implanted one by one, in the correct direction of the bristles and after carefully selecting the implants in order to have a perfectly natural final result.
One could feel some slight pain during the first 2 days, which resolves with simple painkillers (Paracetamol).
- It is necessary to spray the area that has received the new hair follicles with normal saline every 2 hours during the first 10 days (we will provide you with that spray).
- The patient may wash his / her hair 5 days after the transplantation.
- It is forbidden to use the pool or the sea for a period of 2 weeks.
- It is recommended to avoid intense physical exercise for 2 weeks after the procedure.
Approximately 98% of the transplanted hair is retained after transplantation. The hair can be retained on the scalp from the beginning, but it may also fall initially and begin to grow 3 months later. All the new transplanted hair gets visible on the 8th to 10th month after the transplantation. This new hair is our own hair and is no longer at risk of falling, nor is it more sensitive.